Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Suzhou Canals

Beautiful Su contains about 50 photo images; had space permitted, I could easily have included hundreds from among the several thousand I've taken over the years. Since the Internet offers an effectively unlimited space, I thought I would use this blog periodically to extend my presentation of Suzhou's history, sites, and scenery beyond that possible in my book.

Since Suzhou has historically been best known to Westerners as a canal city (the proverbial but somewhat condescending "Venice of the Orient"), I decided to start by presenting some of my favorite canal-scene photos. The number of canals within the city limits is not what it once was, but these photos will hopefully provide a sense of just how integral water transport has been in the history of Suzhou and the surrounding area.

Watery back yard
Overhanging trees, quiet waters.

Tiger Hill pagoda from a nearby neighborhood.

"Reflections."

Barges on the Grand Canal - alongside the Suzhou New District.

Sunset over a canal.

A canal in the Suzhou Industrial Park.

Xumen pedestrian bridge with shoreside willows.

Along the Shantang Street canal.

Canal alongside a modern New District apartment complex.

"Water snake."

Parked rowboat.

Sundown and back home.

Water colors?

Along Shantang Canal.

Pavilion and bridges.

"Houses pillowed on embankments."

Wide waters, busy road.

No comments:

Post a Comment